24 Days of Christmas: Day 7

Today, diabetes got in the way of our advent fun. Behind door number 7 was a note that said, “handprint paintings”. The kids LOVE doing hand and footprint stuff and I find they make great gifts for the kids grandparents. The plan was to wait until Jordan was done school and then we’d start our project.

Things didn’t go as planned. Will was working so in the morning I packed up the 3 kids and we took the bus to school. Cam, Lincoln and I dropped Jordan off in his class and then the 3 of us headed to Strong Start. It’s a great parent participation drop-in program for children who are not yet school age. The best part for us is that there is one right in Jordan’s school.

About an hour in, Jordan and his EA (who takes care of his blood sugar and insulin needs at school) came into the Strong Start classroom. This is very unusual and I knew right away it was not going to be good.

They informed me that Jordan’s site had ripped out. Jordan has an insulin pump, the site is on his hip where a little plastic tube is inserted just under his skin to administer insulin from the pump. So, in a nutshell, no site means no insulin.

No problem, I had a spare in his class. It’s quite simple to set up a new one, so I left the 2 little ones with another mom I know and went with Jordan to his class.

This is what the infusion set looks like:

IMG_1202 (2)

Then you take off a bunch of plastic and unravel the tubing:

IMG_1207 (2)

And it SHOULD go on his hip like this:

IMG_1213 (2)

… but it didn’t. The needle bent and the adhesive didn’t stick properly. Now we had no extra infusion sets. I told the EA that we would have to go home to get a new one. It was only 10 AM so we would come back for the rest of the school day.

I don’t like going to and from the school more than I have to. We don’t live very close and it takes 2 buses to get home. We decided to try our luck at the pharmacy nearby to see if they had any in stock… no luck. They said they could have them by the next day, we needed one right away.

The 4 of us hopped on the next bus and made our way home. When we got home, I grabbed a whole box of sets to keep at the school. We rushed out to catch the first bus back.

When we got to the bus stop I took a look at the schedule. It would be another 10 minutes before the next bus came. I decided to put in a new site at the bus stop while we waited. With Lincoln in the baby carrier and Jordan standing on the bench so I could reach properly, I got the new site in pretty easily.

I went the few steps to the garbage can to throw out the plastic and no sooner did I get back to the kids… Jordan caught the waist of his pants on the NEW site and ripped it out too!!

I couldn’t believe it. It’s not common for a site to rip out, especially a new one with fresh adhesive. Two in a row? The Universe clearly has a sense of humour today… and I’m the punchline.

Luckily, I had brought a whole box so I was able to pop in yet ANOTHER site before our bus came. There were a couple of other people at the bus stop by that time who were giving us some pretty strange looks, I can’t say I blame them. We must have been an interesting sight.

We made it back to the school by 11. That gave us 45 minutes to play at Strong Start. There’s a snack time in the middle of Strong Start. Let me tell you something about my daughter: she LOVES eating. Snack time is her FAVOURITE part of Strong Start… and we missed it.

11:45: I now have a hangry 3 year old who has realized that she missed snack time and I have to take her and the baby on 2 more buses to get home for lunch. It was not a pleasant trip. She was whine-crying the whole way with her little brother chiming in intermittently.

But, we made it home. An hour later and 4 more buses than I had planned. We had a late lunch and had about an hour before we had to leave again to pick Jordan up from school.

By this time I had given up on the idea of cooking dinner and decided to order pizza. I’ve been in non-stop stress mode all day. I just want to sit and relax. But I can’t. I’m a mom of 3 little kids who are very excited to do their craft.

Eventually, we got to sit at the table and do the handprints. I showed them what we were going to do with them but we didn’t have time to finish it together because the paint wouldn’t dry in time. They had fun free-painting on some blank paper while I tended to the baby.

I ended up finishing the craft myself and showing them in the morning. Stressful as it was, I must be doing something right because they both thanked me for painting with them and said they really liked the craft.

I’m not going to post the finished product because it is going to be a gift. But this is where I got the idea at Red Ted Art, which has many great holiday crafts for kids. Check it out and see if you can guess which one we did!


If you missed the beginning of the series check out the posts below, and don’t forget to follow along right up to Christmas!

Introduction: Why we are doing a family advent calendar

Day 1: Santa’s Anonymous

Day 2: Decorating the Tree

Day 3: Visit Santa at the Mall

Day 4: Family Movie Night

Day 5: Sock Snowmen

Day 6: The Ferris Wheel



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s